April is Sexual Assault Awareness month and WMCC and RESPONSE are partnering to help raise awareness in our local communities around the issue of sexual assault. The two groups are working together to promote an end to sexual assault. The theme around the month is 'Say NO MORE to Sexual Assault.' NO MORE is a National rally cry to end sexual assault. April is time for action. One in five women is a survivor of rape, and one in two women, and one in five men, have experienced some form of sexual violence in their lives. NO MORE!
The college is asking students, faculty and staff to take the pledge. The pledge is a personal commitment to help keep women and men safe from sexual assault. It is a promise not to be a bystander to the problem, but to become part of the solution to the problem. Individuals taking the pledge are asked:
- To RECOGNIZE that non-consensual sex is sexual assault.
- To IDENTIFY situations in which sexual assault may occur
- To INTERVENE is situations where consent has not or cannot be given
- To CREATE an environment in which sexual assault is unacceptable and survivors are supported
As part of this awareness campaign, WMCC is also enlisting the VOICES of Men to stand up and unite in one voice to end sexual assault. Together men can commit to another Voice:
- One that does not allow nor tolerate sexual assault
- One that holds perpetrators accountable and responsible for their actions
- One that promotes a shift in attitude and behavior that supports dignity and respect for everyone
- One that supports and encourages a culture change, beginning with themselves, because 'IT'S ON ALL OF US...ALL OF US' to end sexual assault
IT'S ON US is also a campaign requiring personal responsibility, a declaration that everyone has a role to play in ending sexual assault; in our homes, in our schools, in our communities and in our lives. That role can range from bystander intervention on college campuses, to creating a cultural environment that makes sexual assault unacceptable.
IT'S ON US invites US....ALL OF US to stand up, to speak out and to become part of the solution.
WMCC is promoting three days of activities on April 20, 21 and 22.
April 20 will feature the Voices of Men Roundtable and NO MORE Monday.
April 21 will feature Take the Pledge Tuesday.
April 22 will be IT'S ON US Wednesday.
Activities will be on-going in the Bistro/student wellness center from 11:30 to 1 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. There will be give-aways for all who stop by and show their support of the IT'S ON US Campaign. See you there!