Cybersecurity and Healthcare IT
The Cybersecurity and Healthcare IT Certificate Program meets the needs for healthcare providers and associated businesses to be confident that every aspect of their operation is electronically secure. Healthcare functions such as scheduling, storage of images, filling prescriptions, and billing are handled and stored using information technology. The need to build electronic and data transfer systems to support these functions, and to protect the information, has dramatically increased. The vulnerability of healthcare records has also increased through errors, acts of negligence and malice. The workforce responsible for the electronic information must be skilled in assuring confidentiality, integrity and availability of IT systems and networks. This unique program focuses on the integration of the technology with the needs of healthcare.
Cybersecurity is the practice of protecting computer systems against unauthorized access or attack and maintaining the functioning of information systems at all levels. Programs that provide such Cybersecurity training are not widely available, and the concentration on healthcare is a unique aspect of the program.
Upon successful completion of the program graduates will be able to:
- Apply the CIA triad security model to the everyday operation of a computer network.
- Support an overall information awareness program of their organization.
- Apply and enforce the rules directed by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPPA) as they relate to the transmission and storage of electronic medical records.
- Use industry standard tools and techniques in the prevention, detection and elimination of threats to computer networks.
- Conduct themselves in a responsible and professional manner in relationship to privacy and intellectual property rights, following their organizations ethical code of conduct.
- Sit for the following industry certifications: Cisco Certified Networking Associate Security (CCNA Security), Committee on National Security Systems CNSS 4011-16, CompTIA Net+, CompTIA Security+, CompTIA A+, and CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner exams.
|BCMT140||Principles of Information Assurance||2||2||3|
|BCMT142||Enterprise Security Management||2||2||3|
|BCMT143||Secure Electronic Commerce||2||2||3|
|Total Credits for the Year||12|
|BCMT242||Topics in Healthcare Information Technology||3||0||3|
|Total Credits for the Year||9|
|Total Credits for the Certificate||21|