Medical Assistant Certificate
Medical Assistants have administrative competencies to schedule appointments, prepare and maintain patient records, and process insurance claims, collect payments and perform other medical office duties, as well as clinical competencies to perform sterilization techniques, practice standard precautions, perform venipuncture, perform capillary puncture, and obtain specimens for microbiological testing.
Medical Assistants obtain vital signs, prepare and maintain treatment areas, prepare patient for and assist with procedures, treatments and minor office surgeries. They also apply pharmacology principles to prepare and administer medications, maintain medication records and assist in processing test results. Both Associate Degree and Certificate options are available. The requirements listed below apply to both options.
Admission Requirements for Medical Assistant Applicants
- Meet college requirements for admission.
- Free from felony convictions.
- All sciences and Medical Terminology (OFT117) must have been completed within the past five years.
A review of all completed applications, including Accuplacer scores, will begin in February. Applications must be complete by December 31 to be considered for early acceptance in the fall class. If the class is not filled when the review is complete, we will continue to accept completed applications and conduct a second review in May.
Students who are accepted into the Medical Assistant program will:
1. Submit a completed health record, including proof of required immunizations.
2. Provide proof of health insurance (available to matriculated students through the college) or acceptance into a sliding scale fee for a primary care provider and hospital coverage..
3. Obtain and maintain current BLS-C (Basic Life Support) certification.
4. Have professional liability insurance for clinical classes, phlebotomy, and internship. (Available through the college.)
5. Possess and maintain personal health insurance for clinical classes, phlebotomy, and internship.
6.Maintain a grade of C in the BIO120, OFT117, MED101, MED105, MED202, MED211 classes. If a grade of C is not maintained, students may only repeat the course once. Students who do not earn a minimum grade of C in MED201 (Clinical Procedures II) are not able to continue in the program and may be eligible for readmission consideration.
7. Provide an approved criminal background check through the college-approved vendor; the criminal background check must be initiated no earlier than October 1 of the senior year and students must successfully complete a drug screening.
*The above criteria (1-3) must be completed prior to the first day of class of the second year or prior to registering for phlebotomy.
The college must ensure that clients, patients or medical information are not placed in jeopardy by students during learning experiences. Therefore, students in office or clinical experiences must demonstrate sufficient emotional stability to withstand the stresses, uncertainties and changing circumstances that characterize client/patient/medical information responsibilities or be removed from placement. Furthermore, the student is expected to have the emotional stability required to exercise sound judgment, accept direction and guidance from a supervisor or faculty member, and establish rapport and maintain sensitive interpersonal relationships with employers, clients/patients and their families.
Students must also be aware that site placement will require criminal background checks, proof of insurances, general health statements from personal providers, as well as additional titers or vaccinations beyond what the college requires.
|Medical Assistant Certicate|
|MEDA101W||Clinical Procedures I||3||5||5|
|MEDA201W||Clinical Procedures II||3||5||5|
|OTM120W||Office Systems & Procedures||3||0||3|
|Total credits for the year||31|
|MEDA105W||Legal & Ethical Issues in Healthcare||3||0||3|
|MEDA208W||Clinical Procedures III||0||3||1|
|OTM225W||E/M Coding and ICD-10||3||0||3|
|OTM226W||Coding with CPT||3||0||3|
|MEDA203W||Medical Assistant Internship||0||18||6|
|Total credits for the year||22|
|Total for Certificate||53|