Applying for Financial Aid
The 2016-2017 Financial Aid Year runs June 2016-May 2017
(Summer 2016, Fall 2016, and Spring 2017)
The following is a step by step guide to the financial aid process:
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov
You will be directed to create a FSA ID at https://fsaid.ed.gov. The ID will consist of a user-selected name and password. The FSA ID serves as your electronic signature several different times during the financial aid process.
- Use 005291 for WMCC's School Code.
- Click the following link for an online FAFSA tutorial- FAFSA Tutorial
If you prefer to file a paper FAFSA application, please contact FAFSA directly to request an application (800-433-3243).
- The paper application takes 4-6 weeks to process compared to one week when filed online.
- You will be directed to create a FSA ID at https://fsaid.ed.gov. The ID will consist of a user-selected name and password. The FSA ID serves as your electronic signature several different times during the financial aid process.
Your Student Aid Report (SAR), which is a record of the information you submitted on the FAFSA, should arrive via email approximately one week after the date your FAFSA was filed online. If you do not receive your SAR, call 1-800-433-3243. (This report is for your records only; WMCC will receive a copy electronically.)
- Please review your SAR for any incorrect information.
- The Financial Aid Office will contact you via mail IF additional information is necessary after your FAFSA is received.
- Note: If additional information is requested, your financial aid cannot be determined until that information is received and processed. Therefore, please submit any required information as soon as possible.
You must be accepted into an eligible certificate or degree program prior to being awarded financial aid. You should receive an award letter which lists your estimated financial aid approximately three-four weeks after you are accepted into an eligible certificate or degree program AND your SAR information is received at WMCC.
- If you complete your FAFSA before mid April, you will not receive your award letter until the end of May or three-four weeks after you have submitted all required documentation.
- If you are awarded student loans as part of your financial aid package, go to https://studentloans.gov/ to complete your Loan Entrance Counseling and your Master Promissory Note (MPN). You will need your FSA ID during this step as it is your electronic signature on the loan application.
- Once you receive the award letter please sign and return the award letter to the Financial Aid Office at WMCC. You must indicate your intended enrollment status and your acceptance of the financial aid being offered on the award letter before returning it to the Financial Aid Office.
Additional Notes of Interest:
Financial Aid refunds are usually not available until approximately 45 days into the semester.