What is the WMCC school code?
Our school code is 005291.
What are the steps for applying for Financial Aid?
Please refer to "How to Apply" page.
Do I have to wait until I am accepted into a program to submit the financial aid paperwork?
No. You can apply for financial aid by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.FAFSA.ed.gov.You must apply for Admissions and be accepted into a program before financial aid will be awarded.
What is the Pell Grant?
This is the Federal government's basic grant program, which does not have to be repaid. Eligibility is determined from the information the student provides on the FAFSA.
Can I be considered an Independent student?
You are an independent student if you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
- Were you born before January 1, 1995?
- As of today, are you married? (Also answer “Yes” if you are separated but not divorced.)
- At the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year, will you be working on a master’s or doctorate program (such as an MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, graduate certificate, etc.)?
- Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training?
- Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?
- Do you now have or will you have children who will receive more than half of their support from you between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019?
- Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30, 2019?
- At any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care or were you a dependent or ward of the court?
- As determined by a court in your state of legal residence, are you or were you an emancipated minor?
- Does someone other than your parent or stepparent have legal guardianship of you, as determined by a court in your state of legal residence?
- At any time on or after July 1, 2017, did your high school or school district homeless liaison determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?
- At any time on or after July 1, 2017, did the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?
- At any time on or after July 1, 2017, did the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?
Are there other grants or scholarships available?
Please refer to the Scholarship Resources page and the scholarship board located near our office.
I have financial aid but it didn't show up on my bill; can you help me?
Each semester, grants and loans will begin to disburse approximately 45 days into the semester and each week thereafter through the end of the semester.
How much will my refund be?
Subtract your estimated financial aid from your bill to estimate your refund. You may also track your account activity and transactions though the Student Information System .
When will I receive my refund?
The College is federally mandated to refund proceeds within 14 days of disbursements of all Title IV Federal Financial Aid. Electronic refunds are processed within 2-3 business days. Paper checks are mailed directly to your address of record at the College and are usually expected to arrive within 10-14 business days. For more information on the refund process and to sign up for electronic refunds, please go to http://www.wmcc.edu/student-services/business-office/refunds. You may also track your account activity and transactions through the Student Information System (SIS)
Can I access and review my financial aid information online?
Yes, through the Student Information System.
When do I have to begin repaying my student loan?
Direct Loan (subsidized and unsubsidized) repayment begins six (6) months after you withdraw from the College, drop below six (6) credits, or graduate from the College. Perkins loan repayment begins nine (9) months after you withdraw from the College, drop below six (6) credits, or graduate from the College.