Medical Assistant Certificate
Program available in Berlin and Littleton.
WMCC offers a well-established and recognized MA Program that prepares students to help meet the growing need for Medical Assistants in a variety of outpatient medical settings. Students may choose an Associate or Certificate tract to be eligible to take the AAMA National Certification Exam to become a Certified Medical Assistant upon completion of the program.
The program focuses on professionalism, a high standard of medical ethics and incorporates team-based learning in its comprehensive curriculum that prepares our students to meet the complex demands in medical offices. The course of studies require students to successfully demonstrate a spectrum of administrative and clinical competencies including: managing electronic medical records, medical coding, medical billing and patient scheduling, phlebotomy, laboratory testing, collecting and preparing specimens for microbiological testing, obtaining vital signs, assisting with exams and minor outpatient surgical procedures, maintaining infections control and sterilization techniques, applying pharmacology principles to prepare and administer medications and vaccines.
Admission Requirements for Medical Assistant Applicants:
- Meet college requirements for admission.
- Free from felony convictions.
- All sciences and Medical Terminology (OTM117W) must have been completed within the past five years.
Students who are accepted into the Medical Assistant program will:
1. Submit a completed health record within the past year, including proof of required immunizations.
2. Have professional liability insurance for clinical classes, phlebotomy, and internship. (Available through the college.)
3. Possess and maintain personal health insurance or acceptance into a sliding scale fee for a primary care provider and hospital coverage for clinical classes, phlebotomy, and internship.
4. Maintain a grade of C+ in BIOL120W, all OTM and MEDA classes. If a grade of C+ is not maintained, students may only repeat the course once. Students who do not earn a minimum grade of C+ in MEDA201W (Clinical Procedures II) are not able to continue in the program and may be eligible for readmission consideration.
5. Provide an approved criminal background check through the college-approved vendor, which must be initiated no earlier than October 1 of the senior year, and students must successfully complete a drug screening.
*The above criteria (1-3) must be completed prior to the first day of class of the second year or prior to registering for phlebotomy.
Regarding our graduates, the five-year averages for the WMCC Medical Assistant Program are:
Student Placement: 83%
Employee Satisfaction 93%
The CMA National Exam pass rate: 95%
The college must ensure that clients, patients or medical information are not placed in jeopardy by students during learning experiences. Therefore, students in office or clinical experiences must demonstrate sufficient professionalism and emotional stability to withstand the stresses, uncertainties and changing circumstances that characterize client/patient/medical information responsibilities or be removed from placement. Furthermore, the student is expected to have the professionalism and emotional stability required to exercise sound judgment, accept direction and guidance from a supervisor or faculty member, and establish rapport and maintain sensitive interpersonal relationships with employers, clients/patients and their families.
Students must also be aware that site placement will require criminal background checks, proof of insurances, general health statements from personal providers, as well as additional titers or vaccinations beyond what the college requires.
|Medical Assistant Certicate|
|MEDA101W||Clinical Procedures I||3||5||5|
|MEDA201W||Clinical Procedures II||3||5||5|
|OTM120W||Office Systems & Procedures||3||0||3|
|Total credits for the year||31|
|MEDA105W||Legal & Ethical Issues in Healthcare||3||0||3|
|MEDA208W||Clinical Procedures III||0||3||1|
|OTM225W||E/M Coding and ICD-10||3||0||3|
|OTM226W||Coding with CPT||3||0||3|
|MEDA203W||Medical Assistant Internship||0||18||6|
|Total credits for the year||22|
|Total for Certificate||53|