Admit it: You love the rumbling roar of a strong diesel engine and have a passion about working on heavy duty equipment and machinery.
Our program prepares students to diagnose and service diesel powered trucks and off-highway equipment, training future technicians how to analyze and repair diesel engines, transmissions, hydraulics, and all other related operating and controlling systems. WMCC offers the only Diesel Heavy Equipment program in New Hampshire and the only Associated Equipment Distributor (AED) accredited program in New England.
The Associate in Science degree program in Diesel Heavy Equipment Technology prepares students to diagnose and service diesel powered trucks and equipment. Students will learn to use a systems approach to analyze and repair diesel engines, transmissions, brakes, hydraulics, related technologies and controlling systems. Extensive lab courses and a co-op experience are supported by rigorous coursework in physics, math, communications and social science. Shop safety, work habits, shop management and customer relations are also stressed.
Graduates of this program find employment at heavy truck and equipment dealerships, as well as forestry, agricultural and automotive dealerships whose lines include diesel-powered units. Students may also find employment in construction, forestry, trucking, skiing, marine service, power generation and other industries that use diesel-powered units.
There are four options in this program. The On-Highway option prepares students to work on heavy-duty on-highway trucks. The Off-Highway option prepares students to work on large earth moving, agricultural, or forestry equipment. The Parts and Service Management option prepares students to work as parts and service consultants, as parts or service managers, or in general service management positions. A One-Year Certificate option is also available.
The diesel program is accredited through the Associated Equipment Distributors (AED) and is the only college in New England with the accreditation.
Students can expect to spend an additional $1500-2500 for tools.
Program available in Berlin.
|COMP103W||Intro to Spreadsheets||1||0||1|
|DSL111W||Introduction to Diesel Heavy Equipment Technology||2||0||2|
|DSL211W||Heavy-Duty Power Trains||3||3||4|
|COMP105W||Intro to Database Management||1||0||1|
|DSL115W||Diesel Power Systems||3||3||4|
|MGMT218W||Small Business Management||3||0||3|
|PHYS113W||Electricity and Electronics||3||2||4|
|First Year Total||32|
|DSL113W||Heavy Duty Electrical Systems||3||3||4|
|MGMT214W||Management & Teamwork||3||0||3|
|ACCT214W||Managerial Finance and Accounting||3||0||3|
|BUS116W||Business Plan Development||3||0||3|
|Social Science Elective||3||0||3|
|Second Year Total||32|
|Total for A.S. Degree = 64|
Upon successful completion of this program, graduates will be prepared to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of safe working practices in the workplace.
- Demonstrate proficiency of written and oral communications skills.
- Demonstrate workplace skills associated with customer relations and employee employer relations.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of hydraulic and electric schematics.
- Demonstrate skill in the diagnosis and repair of diesel engine, fuel, and emission
- Demonstrate skill in the diagnostics and repair of electrical and electronic systems
associated with heavy equipment.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the testing and repair of heavy equipment hydraulic
- Demonstrate skills in the diagnosis and repair of power train components to include
standard and power shift transmissions, hydrostatic transmissions, torque converters,
clutches and axles.
- Demonstrate a practical knowledge of failure analysis practices and procedures.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the diagnostics and repair of suspension, steering,
undercarriage, and brake systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the diagnosis and repair of heating and air conditioning
systems associated with heavy equipment.