The goal of the Certifying Official for Military Education Benefits in the Registrar’s office at WMCC is to assist veterans and their dependents, guardsmen, and reservists to access educational benefits available through the Montgomery GIBill ® . Whether you are a new, returning or transferring student, we will help guide you to the resources you need to make the most of your WMCC experience.

How to Apply for VA Educational Benefits

Step 1

Visit the Veterans website

Step 2

If you fall into one of the VA Chapter categories complete a VA application to use your VA Educational Benefits.

Complete and submit the online application at  or request a hardcopy application be mailed to you from the GIBill ® website.  Print a copy for your records, then transmit.

Step 3

If you complete a paper copy of the application, send the application and any of the below listed documents that apply to you, to WMCC’s Veteran’s Certifying Official.
– Scholarship or Kicker Contract Information
– Notice of Benefit Eligibility (NOBE) from your Unit Commander if you are in the National Guard.
– Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

Within 10 – 12 weeks you should receive a declaration of eligibility and a letter explaining your VA GIBill ® benefits.  Keep in mind that it is not uncommon to get a letter from the VA requesting additional information. You will have to answer the Department of Veterans’ Affairs request to be determined eligible and complete the process.

Step 4

Apply for admission to WMCC.  You can apply online or print a paper application and send it to the Admissions Office

Step 5

Once you have registered for classes and the Certifying Official for Military Education Benefits certifies your enrollment for a semester, you must verify your enrollment directly with the VA Office at the end of each month during the semester (excluding Chapters 31, 33 and 35).  You can do this in one of two ways:

  1. Complete a Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.) (link) online at the end of each month.
  2. Contact the VA Office at its toll free number (877) 823-2378.

It only takes a couple of minutes to complete.  If you don’t follow this procedure, you will not receive your monthly payment.

Please note that we are required by law to notify the VA whenever a change in enrollment affects your enrollment status.  This will most likely affect your VA payments.

If you are planning to use Federal Tuition Assistance, please go to the following link for further information: How to Apply for Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)

You are also encouraged to see the information about Veterans Educational Programs.

IMPORTANT: You may qualify for additional federal and/or state financial aid in addition to Veterans Benefits.  Find out more and how to apply for additional financial aid.

WMCC’s Certifying Official:
Elizabeth Pontacoloni, NHTI Assistant Registrar, 603-271-6484 x4279, [email protected]

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at