The Health Science program is the starting point for students looking to pursue an educational and career pathway in a health career field. Whether you are looking to take some courses prior to entering our Nursing program or thinking about program options at another two-year or four-institution, our expert faculty will thoroughly prepare you for success.
The Health Science Associate in Science Degree is designed for the student who is interested in establishing the groundwork for a health career, and/or planning to transfer to a 4 year college. This program will provide students who wish to enroll in a Nursing program with a solid foundation in the health sciences including required mathematics, science, and liberal arts courses. Successful completion of this degree is not a guarantee of admission into a selective health program.
Program available in Berlin, Littleton, North Conway.
|HUMA212W||Legal and Ethical Issues||3||0||3|
|ENGL235W||Advanced Research Writing||4||0||4|
|PSYC112W||Human Growth and Development||3||0||3|
|Total Credits for the Year||32|
|HSV111W||Introduction to Human Services||3||0||3|
|Total Credits for the Year||29|
|Total for A.S. Degree||61|
**The following courses qualify for Lab Sciences: BIOL111W General Biology, BIOL114W Human Anatomy and Physiology I, BIOL115W Human Anatomy and Physiology II, BIOL120W Human Biology, BIOL211W Microbiology, CHEM111W Chemistry
NOTE: The Health Science Program requires a grade of C+ in BIOL114W, BIOL115W and BIOL211W (these courses must be completed within the past 5 years). Students must meet prerequisites for all courses.
Upon successful completion of this program, graduates will be prepared to:
- Achieve the prerequisite and basic course knowledge to design and implement a schedule to meet the requirements of a variety of health career educational programs at WMCC or for transfer.
- Develop an appreciation for the importance of skills in accurate observation, logical reasoning, precise expression and an objective attitude in scientific endeavors.
- Outline the complementary natures of mathematics and natural sciences.
- Develop techniques and specific skills in problem-solving appropriate to healthcare situations.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively.
- Apply information literacy.
- Interpret and discuss ethical issues in the healthcare fields.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge in the social and natural sciences.
- Demonstrate an appreciation for art and culture.