As we have been discussing for several weeks, Commencement will take a different form this year. Following a survey of faculty, staff, and graduating seniors, the planning committee was given a clear direction: Celebrate the graduates in an online format in May and organize a traditional ceremony in the fall. It is with that feedback we are communicating the plan for the immediate future and setting a date to celebrate in a physical manner (with some obvious assumptions built in regarding the current pandemic).
- We will be acknowledging the achievements of our graduates on May 15th with a pre-recorded video being released at 5pm, the original time of the celebration
- Students and faculty will be asked to submit photos and videos with specific instructions coming in a link from Tribute, the video software company assisting with production
- Diplomas and diploma jackets will be mailed to graduates in the weeks immediately following the end of the semester
- Caps and gowns will be mailed to graduates
- A traditional Commencement celebrating the 2020 graduates has been tentatively scheduled for Saturday, September 26th at 3pm on the WMCC campus in Berlin with more details forthcoming. At this time please treat this as a save the date.
I believe I speak for all of us when I say Commencement is one of the most important acts in the life of the college community. The event is an acknowledgment of the various academic achievements and the celebration of the hard work of all members of the community who helped the graduates attain success. It is truly why we do what we do, with a physical representation of our mission on display.
I thank you all for your ideas, feedback, and comments and appreciate your willingness to adjust to the new format during this time. A special thanks goes to the Events Committee for undertaking this planning during an already busy time for each member.
Charles Lloyd, Ed.D.
White Mountains Community College
2020 Riverside Drive, Berlin, NH 03570